Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Question of the Day: What Makeup Case do I use? What do I use to clean my brushes?

Photos from Naimies, Camera Ready Cosmetics and MUD websites.
http://www.naimies.com
http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com

I had a question from one of my Facebook friends:
Berk: Can you please Share in your blog what make up case you use for transporting make up ) and how you clean brushes after make up ) thank you very much!

FIRST PART OF THE ANSWER (CASES):
First part of the question is I use a variety of cases transporting makeup/hair stuff.
My reasoning?

FIRST CASE/CARRYING BAG:

$60 on MUD's website

The Setbag from MUD is my ultimate one that I use a lot to work from. It's a huge purse for me with different compartments easy to organize my different items. Its surrounded by handy pockets that I store hairsprays, hair stuff, water, mists, brush cleaners, etc. I use this for on-location shoots and especially on filmsets.

What I REALLY WANT is:

Toccare TK33 Carry All Set Bag Clear $44.99 at Naimies


Reason: I'm condensing my kit to carry less, compact and store things in a clear see thru bag so I can easily take.

Pros:
Easier to lug around and transfer from location to location in case you work on different sets or scenes.

Cons: For both bags, I can't lock it up or protect my investment if I leave it anywhere onset. For the MUD bag, if you overstuff it or understuff it, you can lose stuff by it falling out. The Toccare clear set bag is great, but I know I'll have a habit of overstuffing.

SECOND CASE/CARRYING BAG:

Samsonite Suitcase for $40 to $100 on Luggage websites

If you see me with this, it's because I have both hair and makeup items in here including my airbrush and FX stuff as well. Usually this is the suitcase I bring with all my makeup, airbrush and hair stuff (3 marcel irons, flat irons, combs and brushes, etc). I tend to use this a lot because of the ease of rolling it on wheels, easy to stuff and LOCK with a lock. I use this mainly on my photoshoots, print/advertisement and bridal clients.

What I REALLY WANT is:

Zucca Backpack for $129.00 online at Naimes


Reason: It has multiple compartments to store makeup and hair stuff (plus a thermal protector for flatirons and curling irons) with pockets as well.

Pros: Easy to transport and better for the back.

Cons: Doesn't seem too roomy for hair stuff, but I have to learn to condense hair stuff too!

SECOND PART OF THE ANSWER (BRUSH CLEANER):
Second part of the question is what do I use to clean my brushes?


Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner Price Varied Depending on Sizes online at Camera Ready Cosmetics


I love this brush cleaner. Complete cleans thoroughly!! I use this a lot during while cleaning brushes between talents... I NEVER use dirty brushes on the same talent.

Deep cleaning my brushes I always do when I get home is: antibacterial soap with water, olive oil, shampoo, air dry. I disinfect my kit as well with what I used... a lot goes behind me bringing my kit home and cleaning each time.

1 comment:

  1. I made this one a few years back
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=154666\

    I now use another set bag that is clear vinyl that I added inside and outside pockets to which I will post a picture when I locate it.

    I use a large pink suitcase to move my kit around in. Its a Heys and its very light weight and it has wheels and a handle. I am still thinking about getting a Zuca bag.
    I have a makeup studio so I have lots of storage space for extra and duplicate kit items in drawers there.

    Hope this was helpful!

    Lynn Golovich
    About Faces Detroit Michigan Makeup Artist
    www.aboutfaces.tv

    ReplyDelete